Promo

Promo

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

I’m Ready To Pay For Any Hit Song -D'Banj


Nigerian Afro-pop star, D’Banj is an interviewers’ delight. He is very lively and unassuming. In April, he was announced as a co-host of Africa version of the popular MTV Base Lip Sync Battle alongside South Africa belle, Pearl Thusi. Recently, VIACOMM hosted him to an exclusive media hangout in Ikeja GRA, Lagos. During the event, the Kokomaster stepped aside to chat with select journalists and he bare his mind on his new role as a show host, his next album, venturing into Agro-business and marriage. FUNSHO AROGUNDADE was there  

Many of your fans are waiting with bated breath for your next album. When are you going to release the new work?
The next album is in the making. We have done listening sessions on a number of songs and the next step would be to invite some of you in the media to listen to these songs too. I have got a whole catalogue of songs yet to be released. I was in South Africa with some executives who have listened to some of these songs. By God’s grace, the album would be released before the end of this year.

How would you describe the state of Nigerian music now?
From last year, I have been planning and strategizing and while doing this, I discovered some interesting things. The industry has changed from when we started. Since I came back I realised the amount of music coming out and the amount of talent that we have right now, it would be in our best interest as an industry to protect them by making sure that the platforms that would distribute those contents are in the right place. I have worked with Bank of Industry BOI and some other specific people to make sure that the right digital distribution and physical distribution is in place. Also, the music industry’s pension which is the missing link should also be put in place. So, to set example, I had a meeting with my team last year and I told all of them from my producer to singers that they must really work hard in 2016. I lead by example.
D'Banj with Tonto Dike
Talking about your artistes, what is the state of your contract with Tonto Dike as rumours have it that she has been sacked from the label?
I did not drop Tonto Dike. The truth is I called everybody from my producer, to songwriters, artistes and I told them that from 2016, they all had to shape up; starting from me. On Tonto, I have not seen her since her marriage and she has a child right now too. Besides, she’s not in the country right now. What she told me last time we spoke was that she wanted to concentrate on her foundation and she has done that. Also, when a woman is married, it becomes a different ball game. Whenever she comes back and decide if she wants to continue with the label, I have no problem with that. I believe all my artistes including Tonto can stand alone; I feel we should do things differently. If you look at the artistes on the label, you would agree with me that there is something special about them.

How do you mean by doing things differently?
What I am trying to say is that stars, talents and creative people who might be reading this interview or listening to me right now in either Abeokuta, Calabar, Kaduna, Borno either we’ve met or not, if you could do a beat and you think would fit any of my artistes or myself, you would be welcome. I don’t really care who you are, if you are good, I am ready to work with you. For instance, I have never met the guy who produced the beat for my hit song “Emergency”. Had it been the guy didn’t know Olu Maintain who brought him to me, you may never have heard the song “Emergency”. In the western world, roles are defined and you as an artiste get fed. Once they know you are available, they will bring materials to you. Right now I am trying to put in place a structure that would ensure inclusion and participation of all artistes no matter your location in Nigeria. As long as you have phone and you can notify us, your beat, lyrics whatever it is will be picked up and you will be paid.

D'Banj with Pearl Thusi
How do see your new role with MTV Lip Sync Battle? Do you see yourself doing a better job than American rap star LLCoolJ hosting the US version?
First of all, I am not stepping into anybody’s shoes. Africa is different, that is why it is called Lip Sync Battle Africa. To be honest, I have not been able to watch a lot of the episodes of American version but I saw one or two and I like what they are doing. There is going to be a twist to this, but I am not stepping into anybody’s shoes. I am only going to be myself, D’Banj.

So what are you bringing differently?
I am an entertainer and in everything I do I try to bring light into it. I do not think this show would be different. This is my first foray into television and it is going to be entertaining as you know me to be energetic and creative. And if you have had a long day and just want to relaxed and be entertained, then be ready to get it on the show. I also have a wonderful co-host, Pearl, who is a great personality, a beautiful kokolet and she’s South African. She will anchor the main battle. What MTV wants me to do is that they have actually built a Koko Lounge for me on stage and on every episode, I would watch my fellow colleagues, super celebrities from different parts of Africa coming to step into a different platform where they have never been seen before. You will see actors, models coming to battle each other, lip-syncing or mimicking others songs. So to be given an opportunity to contribute my two cents to these big stars is something I really looking forward to. It is the first show that brings the whole Africa together watching and participating. It brings what fans love which are their two celebrities on every episode grace the stage. So it will be beautiful.

How far have you gone on your agro-business especially the ‘Koko Garri’?
I have used the last years to research the market. So I am trying to give it a good foundation before we started full production and distribution. Now we are on the online stores like Konga and Jumia. Koko Garri is also being sold at those big shopping malls. Very soon we plan to place adverts on television and this is because we have proper partnerships. I have always had access to finance through Bank of Industry, BoI which provided money for those in the cottage industry. I am glad to tell you that I already have a multi-million naira big farm in Ogbomoso, Oyo State. We have about 700 hectares of land in that town. That’s where we would be building our storage facilities.

D'banj with Funsho Arogundade
When is D’banj going to marry?

Who said I am not married? I would tell you the truth, I am not married but if I am, nobody would hear about it. It is going to be a very quiet wedding because I am tired of people asking me that question. It is my personal life and it is not going to change my music or brand. I am not going to get married just because people want me to, neither would I do it just to enter another phase of my life just like some of my colleagues have done. They make it seem as if once you are married you have retired. But that should not be the case. Marriage would not change anything about me and whenever it happens, nobody would hear about it, there would only be speculations. My wife would not be seeking for fame because the one I have is already enough for all my family members. When I get married, it would be a very quiet one. Who knows, it might have already happened.

This interview was first published by P.M.EXPRESS

No comments:

Post a Comment