Promo

Promo

Thursday, June 2, 2016

NBC Are On My Neck Over My Humour


On Sunday, 29 May, the Democracy Day, Steve Onu, popular comedian and On Air Personality known more as Yaw, will be hosting the eight edition of his annual Yaw Live On Stage. The very funny guy invited P.M.Express' FUNSHO AROGUNDADE to his Surulere, Lagos newly-fitted Studio cum office for a chat. He bares his mind on his staying power as an actor and radio presenter, and his love for stage
  
What is this your forthcoming show ‘Shalanga’ all about?
The word Shalanga otherwise known as Pit Latrine is funny as it sounds. However, Shalanga is a play written by actor, Femi Branch. Year in, year out, I always love to produce stage play which mirrors the society in a satiric manner. So this year, I discussed with Femi Branch that I wanted to repeat the stage again and he told me he has a play that I will love and that  play turned out to be Shalanga. This year, the audience will enjoy a recap of what has happened in the country from the beginning of the year till now. The play will revolve around politics, entertainment and what is generally applicable to the society at large. In essence, if you had seen the poster for the show, you would have seen me squatting and pooing into the country (Nigeria). This is assumed to be the pit latrine where everybody just comes from nowhere, and all we just do is deposit our waste. Most times people don’t care about what happens to Shalanga because we just drop and then we go. It’s none of our business to take care of it, we just deposit the 'hard one' plus the 'watery one'. Everybody just drops whatever he wants to drop in the latrine without any care. Same thing we do to our country, forgetting that we are all government. We want people to know that it’s not just about those in Aso Rock alone, we must contribute our own little quota and don’t wait till everything is spoilt before we start complaining. The country can only be better if we all are united and that is the message Shalanga is trying to pass at the end of the day. This is the eighth edition of different plays, the same theme, talking about government. So, it’s just a recap of what you and I know. It is a satire. Satire is just like a rubber sword, you throw without intending to spill blood but you inflict pain. You stab the person a little, the person feels it. At the end of the day, you might laugh and then go home and think about it.

Unlike every other comedy show which is strictly music and comedy, yours is different. Is it deliberate?
You know I did drama in school. I am a proud Theatre Art graduate. Right from my days in school, I had started producing stage plays and I said to myself, I would want to continue in this trend. Back then in school, I had been doing comedy, music and drama on my shows and the likes of Omo Baba, Jedi, Sound Sultan, Ruggedman were regular attendees of those programmes. So when I came out of school, I told myself to continue with this same style. The truth is I just wanted to do something completely different, and that's because I am first and foremost, an actor, a trained actor. I decided to just do that and infuse music and comedy because lots of people like to watch music and comedy. It’s a standard I have set overtime and can only improve on it.

What informed your choice of AY as your co-star on Shalanga?
As you know I have featured many experienced actors such as Funke Akindele, Koffi, Okey Bakassi to mention but few in the previous edition. So last year, AY approached me to tell me he would love to be on board for the next one, same as Sound Sultan and Akpororo. I have lined up these fantastic guys for the next three years of my show. But I choose AY to be on stage with me for this year not because of any consideration. I guess you know AY is also a Theatre Art graduate who has done well in the comedy and movie industry. I love his craft and style and I know we can always pull through together. The stage play, I bet it with you will wow the audience and the message we are trying to pass will get across to people.

Is there any supporting actor during the play?
Normally, the concept of the show is a two-man cast. I only introduced the Crown Troupe of Africa to add flavour to the play. They will come to dance and interpret the scenes where we needed crowd. We have the Crown Troupe to help do that but on this coming stage play, I decided not to use them. I'm using one or two actors to play minor roles and off the stage. But majorly it will be myself and AY on that stage because we don’t intend to have blackout on stage. That is the concept I'm working with.

What should guests expect from the show?
Expect all the best packaged fun at the show as it will be filled with performance by talented musicians and comedians that include Olamide, Phyno, Ycee, Lil Kesh, Vector, Humblesmith, Solidstar and Reminisce to mention a few. Of course, you will enjoy the best of my colleagues in the comedy business that night. We’ve also got surprises that we are working on. Last year, we had an Old Skool act who performed at my show. It was after that success that a lot of people started using that concept of featuring Old Skool act as surprise acts. Same thing will happen this year, just expect a total package show. It will be something different from the regular.

You have consistently organised stage plays in spite of the challenges many said are hampering its growth in Nigeria. How do you think this can be tackled?
Of course, you should know that everything boils down to finance. Gone are those days when you get sponsors for stage plays. Until corporate sponsors begin to look in the direction of stage play, things will remain the same. The other thing is the lack of proper structure to put things in order.
But you have been doing the stage in spite of these challenges?
It's just because of my interest in the art. As a trained theatre art practitioner, I believe in the saying that 'The show must go on'. Despite the challenges, I have to find a way of getting this show produced every year. It's not easy but I just have to make it happen.  

What has really happened to your popular TV series Yaws & Mine?
The series, Yaws & Mine is on hold for now but pretty soon we would be hitting location to shoot more episodes. People need to understand that putting sitcoms on the television is quite an expensive venture. Most of the time, we shot without sponsors. We took it as our duty as producers to take care of all our cast and crew members. And it's not an easy task. But by God's grace, I will be coming back on air before the end of the year as numerous fans have also been asking for it. Immediately after Shalanga show, we will commence production. Also, my team and I have equally been working tirelessly to come up with other fresh ideas.

During your morning talk show on WAZOBIA FM, you and Nedu have created a cult-like following especially with the way you review the daily newspapers. Given how early the programme is aired, do you guys rehearse or it's a spontaneous delivery?
Where is the time? We don’t rehearse at all. It's what I see in the papers that I review. The humour just comes naturally. But believe me sincerely, the Nigerian Broadcasting Commission, NBC, has been on my neck. They said I am triggering issues. For heaven sake, I am an humorous person. We look at the humorous part of the news. I think beyond what you guys (journalists) have written. I am sure my MD (Amin Moustalli) didn’t have all these in mind when we started WAZOBIA, but the whole thing started with the way I usually start my presentation, and then it caught everybody. I started the review with humour. I just told myself I will put humour in every part of my presentation because with the situation in the country, I believe Nigerians need humour to relax the tension. But NBC is saying that’s not news while people's responses have shown that they want to listen to it. But every time they (NBC) call me, they said I am going against NBC rules.  I usually tell them that I only say things I see in the newspapers. They then suggested that I should limit myself to headlines on the cover and not flip into the inner pages where most of the gists are. That's the dilemma I'm in now.
Many see you more as a comedian but this part of your creative life has been relegated to the background.
The truth is comedy depends on what perspective you are looking at it from. We’ve got stand-up comedians, comic actors and then comedians on radio. I am good at every one of these. I am always on air 24/7, if it’s to act, I act; if you call me for stand up, I do it; but I see myself as a total entertainer. That’s just it. Then again, it’s not everybody that is good as a comic actor. It's not every comedian that can do stand-up comedy, same as not all stand-up comedians that can act. But thank God, I can conveniently slip into all these roles as an all-round entertainer.

What is the difference between Yaw and Steve Onu?
Steve Onu, to an extent, is a quiet reserved person. Unknown to some people, I’m shy and most times want to be on my own. Left to me, I want to be at home counting money till night. But for Yaw, he must be outgoing, attend events, be at those red carpets, and then talk. This is Steve Onu speaking to you now because a Yaw will not speak English but pidgin. Basically, they are totally two different people, but some things are just similar; I can’t run away from that, my humorous side. Aside that, I just prefer to be indoors, I don’t want to go out, party or even go clubbing. I just prefer it that way.


This interview was published by P.M.EXPRESS days before the main show


No comments:

Post a Comment